Turkey and Avocado Collard Wraps
These wraps are by far my favorite lunch for a day-hike. They are simple, easy to put together, aren?t too messy, and give me my veggie fix out on the trail. The wraps also make a great lunch on a full day of work or classes. And best of all, they are soooo delicious! It?s hard to beat some well-seasoned turkey and lightly salted avocado.
I sometimes put the wraps together the night before, but I prefer to make them in the morning if I have time. Doing so keeps the avocado fresh and prevents the greens from getting soggy, especially if you will be waiting until lunch to eat them.
On to the recipe – these things are incredibly simple to make and can be tailored to your herb and flavor preferences:
1/4 – 1/3 lb sliced high-quality turkey without additives or chemicals (I use a natural herbed turkey
that has only turkey, salt, and herbs)
1 small or medium avocado
4 medium to large collard leaves
Pinch of sea salt – I?like?Redmond Real Salt
Fresh herb of choice – Basil and Cilantro are my favorite (Optional)
- Rinse and dry the collard leaves. If the leaves have a really thick stem, I will sometimes remove the bottom part of it so it?s the wrap is easier to roll up and isn?t so tough.
- Lay out collard leaves, divide the turkey into even portions and place slices on the collard leaves
- Slice the avocado into strips and sprinkle with sea salt, then portion out on top of the turkey on each leaf
- Add a few basil leaves or cilantro sprigs to each collard leaf
- Roll up the leaves with all the yummy fillings. It can be a bit tricky to find the best way to roll them up without letting the fillings fall out. The best way to do this really depends on the shape and size of your collard leaves, but I have found that it?s best to find a way to keep at least the bottom of the wrap contained by folding it burrito-style. I tend to keep one end open and haven?t had a problem with any of the fillings falling out, as long as I store the wraps in a well-sealed container that keeps them pretty tight together.
- Store in a container or ziploc bag for later or enjoy right away!