Over the past year, I have developed a serious love for plantains. They are the perfect combination of starchy and sweet and offer an amazing texture to a variety of dishes. They make an exceptionally creamy vegan ice cream, far surpassing bananas in both flavor and texture. When plantains are the correct ripeness, they also make the perfect single-ingredient pancake. The higher starch content means that flour isn’t necessary, and they are sweet enough to not require any additional sweeteners.
These are a bit different than conventional pancakes in that they don’t rise or get fluffy. Instead, they caramelize as they brown and make an incredible, dessert-like breakfast. Topped with blueberries, they are perfect.
And with fewer than five ingredients, these are one of my favorite quick and easy breakfast options.
Plantain Pancakes (vegan, paleo)
1 Ripe Plantain
1/4 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1. Thoroughly mash all ingredients
2. Drop into a pan (I like this one)
3. Smash into desired shape
4. Cook over medium heat until browned and solid enough to flip
5. Flip and cook until the second side is browned
6. Remove from pan, top with your favorite fruit, and enjoy!